When referring to a decade, you use an apostrophe before the "s". Thanks a lot!!! Harrods is a luxury department store located on Brompton Road in Knightsbridge, London. Restoring an early 1940s American evening gown ... Apostrophe by WordPress.com. It is "40's". There is no apostrophe in front of the two digits. 10 rules for using the apostrophe. I was taught to use the apostrophe, ... Is 1940s correct or 1940's? A Tip on Apostrophes. Start learning today for free! apostrophe goes with 10" letters. The Greedy Apostrophe. In the following sentence you can see how the apostrophe is used twice to show ... or the 1940s). When writing about eras, decades, would you write, for example, the 30's or the 30s in British English? I used to be convinced that the plural did not take the apostrophe as it was not a possessive but I Grammatical errors make you look bad and hurts your effectiveness as a writer. Quizlet provides 1940 english activities, flashcards and games. As in, a singular mother. Write 1930s, not 1930's. 1. possession - the girl's teacher, the girl's teacher, Neil's website It is now owned by the state of Qatar. Actually, if you're referring to the plural of the letter "a" itself, ... Index of Grammar Logs. So, we've assembled the 15 most egregious grammar goofs into one helpful infographic. Karlsruhe-based software developer. There is no reason to include an apostrophe. Do not use full points in abbreviations, or spaces between initials, including those in proper names: IMF, mph, eg, 4am, M&S, No 10, AN Wilson, WH Smith, etc. The rule to using the apostrophe is very clear. ! Plurals Of Abbreviations - 1990'S Or 1990S? ... vintage early positively no smoking raised letter 1940s tin advertising sign . You didnt come of age in the 1980sit was the 1980s. But the apostrophe is there when you need it to avoid confusion. ADA Sign Store. Category: 1940s. or in possessive pronouns (hers, not hers). Apostrophes are used to show contractions and possesion. Do you know when to use an apostrophe? I agree that the apostrophe is not needed (except where it replaces characters in the contracted form), as it's clearly a plural and not a possessive usage. That rule, and nine more. This company sells the California Braille font. Circa is a retail and online vintage clothing shop owned and run by Nicole Jenkins, aided by her able assistants and based in Melbourne, Australia. Trading Hi everybody!!! The ACT and SAT are going to put you to the test, so brush up on your punctuation skills with this week's blog. Beyond the gimmick, there's not enough oomph in "Captain America: The 1940s Newspaper Strip" to carry it forward.' see photos for overall condition. Alexander Lange. ... Apostrophes should not be used in numbers (7s, the 1940s, etc.) From 1930s fashion socialites to actresses on the big screen, Bette Davis to Wallis Simpson, we take a look at the most stylish ladies of the thirties. First of all, make sure you get the apostrophe right: Its Mothers Day. Which is the correct form: 1940s or 1940's when writing about the decade? Teaching resource: Sometimes when people abbreviate decades they end up as, "the '40s." No. No apostrophe. But now all those are rendered without the apostrophe, as VIPs, 1940s, and 30s. There are lots of previous threads about names of decades rather than punctuation. My question is, what does the apostrophe in front of the 40s mean?